Monday, July 04, 2011

CLASSIC SCOOTS

Last Tuesday night we piled on the scoot and headed off for the Petersen Automotive Museum to check out the new Scooter exhibit, and to attend a special curator talk about the history of scooters.

IMG_5073

Good thing we took the scoot.  Getting out of our end of town to head to the mid-Wilshire area is becoming darn near impossible.  The intersections getting out of Santa Monica and thru Westwood are gridlocked.  You can spend a half hour getting through one light.  Unless, of course, you are scootin’ and can go between the stopped cars.  We did this repeatedly and saved a huge amount of time.  And only clipped one mirror in the process.  :(  My bad.  I did not stop.

The talk was fine and surprisingly well attended for a Tuesday night.  The exhibit was superb.  There wasn’t a printed guide, and I didn’t take notes, so you’ll just have to make do with the photos.

Scoots at Petersen 2011_06_28

I have no idea what’s up with the big, white flatbed scoot.  The cushion area was about 3x6 feet.  No handles, so any passengers would be sliding off at the first turn.  I particularly liked the design of the tubular frame at bottom center.  Elegantly simple.  The tail light is incorporated into the end of the tube under the seat.

Scoots at Petersen 2011_06_281

I don’t know why, but the tall “trashcan” scoots like the upper right appealed to me.  Such a goofy design.  I hope the rickshaw had a very slow speed limit.  That canopy would fill with air and take off, it seems to me.

We caught the displays with at least one goof, which we pointed out to the curator.

IMG_5086

Not!  We have a GTS250.  Cut those mpg ratings in half and you’re about right. 

This was an excellent exhibit, if you have any interest at all in scoots..

1 comment:

Louise said...

Very cool! We'll have to check this out next time we're in the neighborhood. I love the one with the sidecar.